Heavy Equipment Operator 3
You will be responsible for the safe, efficient, and effective operation and daily maintenance of heavy equipment used in a landfill operation. Equipment include backhoe, articulated dump truck and water truck.
Key Position Responsibilities
- Operate and maintain assigned equipment
- Clean cabs, tracks, wheels, and other components of equipment
- Ability to operate a backhoe, articulated dump truck and water truck safely and proficiently
- Participate in and support training and initiatives to improve service quality, safety, customer and employee relations, and operational efficiency and effectiveness
- Assist in the operation of the Columbia Tipper
- Required to work in compliance with all Landfill required permits
- Legible handwriting and basic communications skills. Ability to carry out oral and written instructions and read equipment instruction manuals
- Supportive team member working well with on-site team
- Follow all required safety policies and procedures. Ability to work safely independently and with others
- High School Diploma or GED
- Works with a sense of honesty and trustworthiness
- Developing time management skills to ensure assigned responsibilities are completed in an efficient and safe manner
- Ability to work at a fast, safety and steady pace, responding to multiple tasks at the same time
- A valid Oregon driver’s license
- Class B Commercial driver’s license OR the ability to obtain within 6 months
- Comfortable using smart phone and tablet technology to record daily activities and communicate with team
- Demonstrates good decision-making skills
- Must be able to read, write and speak English
- Tolerance to work in extreme weather and environmental conditions - temperature ranges from below freezing to over 110 degrees, rain and snow, wind, dust, and mud.
- Ability to lift to 65 pounds by hand, and work with others and/or machines to lift heavier objects.
- Back, leg, arm and shoulder strength required to clean wire, heavy cable, dirt, and other debris while working in awkward positions from operational components of the equipment daily. Requires use of various hand tools including shovels, picks, etc.
- Capacity to operate the equipment for up to 3 hours at a time, and between 4 and 11 1/2 hours in a workday.
- Mobility to repeatedly access and egress the heavy equipment on all types of flat and sloped terrain, as well as bend, twist and extend the body during equipment operation to observe the operation of the machine and its immediate surrounds.
- Strength and coordination in the feet, legs, hands, and arms to operate the controls while being jarred and jostled in the cab of the equipment and experiencing sudden vertical changes in position.
- Ability to safely climb on and off heavy equipment to operate, clean and inspect.
- Ability to walk/stand on uneven cell of solid waste with a slope of up to 50% or a 2:1 slope to deploy plastic cover material.
- Complete and pass random drug and alcohol tests in accord with DOT and company standards.
Conditions of Employment
Chosen applicant for this position must have demonstrated proficiency operating equipment, meet the above requirements and successfully pass a post offer Department of Transportation (DOT) drug screen, physical and physical capacities evaluation.
Title: Heavy Equipment Operator 3
Division/Department: Rogue Waste Systems — Dry Creek Landfill
Reports to: Landfill Operations Manager
Location: 6261 Dry Creek Rd., Eagle Point, OR
Employee Status: Non-Union/Non-Exempt
Work Schedule: Formal work week is from Sunday through Saturday. Scheduled work will be four 10 hour days and may include Saturday. Additional work on other days may be required as needed. Work day includes 30 minute unpaid meal period and two unpaid 10 minute breaks.
Probationary Period: 90 Days
Wages: 17 to $24 per hour
Vacation: 2 weeks the first year, 3 weeks after 5
Benefits: Medical, dental and vision benefits (see company benefit plan descriptions)
Drug and Alcohol Testing: Subject to pre-employment drug and random selection alcohol and drug testing
Career OpportunitiesView All